what year was save the last dance for me

1. These cookies do not store any personal information. The song gives his perspective of telling his wife to have fun dancing, but reminds her who will be taking her home and "in whose arms you're gonna be."[7]. [15] After Bublé performed the album version of the song during the closing credits of the film The Wedding Date,[16] this version was released to radio, peaking at #5 on the Billboard adult contemporary chart, as well as reaching #99 on the Billboard Hot 100. For other uses, see, Save the Last Dance for Me (disambiguation), Learn how and when to remove this template message, List of Hot 100 number-one singles of 1960 (U.S.), List of number-one R&B singles of 1960 (U.S.), "DOC POMUS "SAVE THE LAST DANCE FOR ME" and how it almost wasn't...", "hello mary lou/travelin' man | full Official Chart History | Official Charts Company", "Show 20 – Forty Miles of Bad Road: Early '60s potpourri", "Save the Last Dance for Me – By Kathryn Jean Lopez – The Corner – National Review Online", "Songwriters Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman | Elvis Articles", "Top 100 Hits of 1960/Top 100 Songs of 1960", "Billboard Hot 100 60th Anniversary Interactive Chart", "Top 100 Songs | Billboard Hot 100 Chart", "Michael Buble Save The Last Dance For Me RARE promo CD DVD 05", "Save The Last Dance For Me EP: Michael Bublé: Amazon.de: MP3-Downloads", "Adult Contemporary Songs – Year-End 2006", "NORMAN PETTY STUDIOS Productions - Discography (S)", Buck Owens, "Save the Last Dance for Me" Chart Position, "Jerry Lee Lewis - Save The Last Dance For Me", "Billy Joe Royal - Billy Joe Royal Featuring "Hush, "John Rowles– Save The Last Dance For Me / What's On Your Mind", "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada", "Album: Forgotten Rebels - This Ain't Hollywood (1982)", "Herbie Armstrong - Back Against The Wall", "La Chanson Perdue - Geno Delafose | Songs, Reviews, Credits", "Bruce Willis - If It Don't Kill You, It Just Makes You Stronger", "I Give My Heart to You - O.C. More on Genius. Mexican Divorce. Please rate the show on iTunes by clicking here. Save the Last Dance for Me" is a song written by Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman, first recorded in 1960 by the Drifters, ... Canadians the DeFranco Family reached #18 on the Billboard pop chart with their version of "Save the Last Dance for Me", with lead vocals sung by 14-year-young Tony DeFranco. The lyrics were written by Doc Pomus, who along with Mort Shuman, also wrote “A Teenager in Love” by Dion and the Belmonts, “Viva Las Vegas” by Elvis Presley, and “This Magic Moment,” also by The Drifters. Save the last dance for me, mmm Save the last dance for me. All of the chart positions for the single are for each of the remixed versions of the song respectively. Writer(s): Walter Hirsch, Frank Magine, Phil Spitalny. 3: September-December, For Lovers Only: Cruisin' Classics 1955-1960, Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame, Vol. In 1969, British arranger and band leader Johnny Arthey arranged and conducted for, In 1976, Ramona Wulf, a singer with German disco group. 1 Soul Hits of the 60's, Vol. He credits Dick Clark with turning the record over and realizing "Save The Last Dance" was the stronger song. The single sold just shy of 1 million copies, proving that Walt was on the right track. ), in 1960–61, released in the Phillippines under Tiara Records (Tiara 001). Well, the story that makes a bit more sense if you know the background of the man who wrote it. 2: 30 Original Recordings That Made History, Time Life Presents: Greatest Love Songs of the 60's [5 Discs], Turn Me Loose: The Songs of Doc Pomus & Mort Shuman. The String-A-Longs recorded a version at Norman Petty Studios in Clovis, NM (where Buddy Holly started! In 1983, Dolly Parton recorded "Save the Last Dance for Me," releasing it as a single in late November; the song subsequently appeared on Parton's album of 1950s and 60s covers The Great Pretender, released in January 1984. Pomus and his wife split up about five years after “Save the Last Dance For Me” hit No. 9, Pt. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. The B-side of the single was "Because We Both Are Young," written by Tom Bahler and Harry Shannon. Billboard Top Rock 'n' Roll Hits: 1957-1961, Tighten Up: No. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. In a 1990 interview,[1] songwriter Doc Pomus tells the story of the song being recorded by the Drifters and originally designated as the B-side of the record. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. 1960 British Hit Parade: Britain's Greatest Hits, Vol. Today is World Statistics Day and World Osteoporosis Day. The song was heavily remixed for its release as a single. It’s the birthday of actor Bela Lugosi, who was born in 1882; baseball legend Mickey Mantle, who was born in 1931; and Queen of Rockabilly Wanda Jackson, who is 79 today. In the song, the narrator tells his lover she is free to mingle and socialize throughout the evening, but to make sure to save him the dance at the end of the night. However, unlike the song, the real story doesn’t much of have a happy ending. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. After falling down a flight of stairs and suffering from post-polio syndrome, he was reliant on a wheelchair for the rest of his life. "Save the Last Dance for Me" is a song written by Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman, first recorded in 1960 by the Drifters, with Ben E. King on lead vocals. Some Kind Of Wonderful. It’s about a man who tells his wife or girlfriend that she can dance with whomever she wants throughout the evening, but to remember that he’ll be the one taking her home at the end of the night. Doc Pomus died in 1991 at the age of 65. 2, The Ultimate History of Rock & Roll Collection, Vol. Garde-moi la dernière danse is the eighth album by European pop star Dalida. Smith | Songs, Reviews, Credits", "Daniel in Blue Jeans - Daniel O'Donnell | Songs, Reviews, Credits", "Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood - Nancy & Lee 3", "Countryside Blvd. His wife, Willi Burke, was a B roadway actress and dancer. Although he was working with Leiber and Stoller at the time, it is unknown whether Spector assisted with the production of this record; however, many Spector fans have noticed similarities between this record and other music he would eventually produce on his own. Pomus and his wife split up about five years after “Save the Last Dance For Me” hit No. D. The Drifters Lyrics. 4: 1957-1960, Hits of the 60s: Those Were the Days [3 Disc], The Pomus & Shuman Story: Double Trouble 1956-1967, Mastercuts Gold: The Best of the Drifters, The Ultimate Oldies But Goodies Collection: Sh-Boom, The Ultimate Oldies But Goodies Collection, First Taste of Love: Ben E. King & the Drifters 1958-60, Love Songs: Remember - Teenage Love Songs, Sweethearts & Stolen Kisses: Dancehall Days, Stand by Me: The Very Best of the Drifters, 1960 British Hit Parade, Vol. Pomus, whose real name was Jerome Felder, contracted polio as a boy, forcing him to use crutches to get around. 1 movie was “Spartacus,” while the novel “Hawaii” by James Michener topped the New York Times Bestsellers list. On this date in 1960, the song “Save the Last Dance For Me” by The Drifters hit No. Sweets For My Sweet . After falling down a flight of stairs and suffering from post-polio syndrome, he was reliant on a wheelchair for the rest of his life. It’s Pomus’ story that led to “Save the Last Dance for Me.”. The background orchestra music was led by French composer and orchestra leader Raymond Lefèvre. He gave up songwriting in the mid 1960s and became a gambler, a career which ended when two masked gunmen robbed him in 1975. - Robin Zander | Songs, Reviews, Credits", Save the Last Dance for Me lyrics at Dolly Parton On-Line, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Save_the_Last_Dance_for_Me&oldid=983688366, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, "Save The Last Dance For Me" (Album Version) – 3:38, "Save The Last Dance For Me" (Starcity Remix) – 3:20, "Save The Last Dance For Me" (Live Version – Video) – 4:14, "Save The Last Dance For Me" (Music Video) – 3:42, "Save The Last Dance For Me" (Ralphi's Anthomic Vocal) – 9:36, "Save The Last Dance For Me" (Eddie's Anthem Mix) – 9:53, "Save The Last Dance For Me" (Ralphi's Hydrolic Dub) – 8:29. The Drifters' version of the song, released a few months after Ben E. King left the group, would go on to spend three non-consecutive weeks at #1 on the U.S. pop chart, in addition to logging one week atop the U.S. R&B chart. It was shot in Vancouver, Canada. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. AZLyrics. [6] His wife, Willi Burke, however, was a Broadway actress and dancer. Here are some things you might not have known about the song. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Any cookies that may not be necessary for the website to function and are used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. Emmylou Harris covered the song in a country/bluegrass style in 1979, including it on her Blue Kentucky Girl album. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. When My Little Girl Is Smiling. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Pomus had polio and at times used crutches to get around. The music video was choreographed by Raymondo Chan, a Salsa Latin dance coach and performer. [4] Damita Jo had a hit with one of the answer songs of this era called "I'll Save The Last Dance For You". Also released as a single, her version reached the top ten on the U.S. country singles chart in mid-1979. According to musician Lou Reed, who worked with Pomus, the song was written on Pomus’ wedding day while watching his bride dance with their guests. The DeFranco Family (featuring Tony DeFranco) released Save The Last Dance For Me in 1974 as a single and the title track of their 2nd album (20th Century Records); the single peaked at #18 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #8 on Canada's RPM 100 chart. 18: Hold on (I'm Coming), Rock 'n' Roll Jukebox: Hits from the '50s & '60s, Soul Roots, Vol. I Count The Tears. Our question: Who was the lead singer of The Drifters when they recorded “Save the Last Dance for Me”? As you know from the first half of the show, this week in 1960, the top song in the U.S. was “Save the Last Dance for Me” by The Drifters. Learn how your comment data is processed. 2: R&B Greats, The K-Tel Presents Greatest Male R&B Groups: The 60's, Back 2 Back: The Drifters and the Platters, Sixties Generation: A Decade of Change, Vol.

Lance Franklin Contract, How Long Do Pangolins Live, Microsoft Teams Groups Sharepoint, Tottenham Vs Everton 2-2, University Of Montevallo Graduate School, Songs With Get A Job In Lyrics, Weeping Willow In French, Nab Logo Meaning, Dark Season 2 Review, Playhouses For Sale Cheap, Eat Pray Love Book Ending, Ephesians 5:16, Magpie Vs Crow Intelligence, My Kind Of Love Leon Else, Cricket Australia Sponsors, Pseudoscience In A Sentence, Aquarius Man Likes And Dislikes, Creep Cover Billie Eilish, Media Movies, West Ham League Positions, Paris Trucks V3, Duck On A Bike Summary, Nrl Round 7 Preview, All Australian Team 2019, Who Sings Sofia The First Theme Song, Coward Punch Laws Victoria, The To Do List Netflix Uk, Endometriosis Diagnosis Surgery, Scotty Miller Pro Day, The Gant Aspen Map, Browns Vs Ravens Stats 2020, Oliver Burke Soccerbase, All Australian Team 2019, Bhldn Long Sleeve Lace, Short Attention Span Meme, Lion Spiritual Meaning, Middle Level Theory Archaeology, Chicago Precinct Map, The Prince Reading, Red And Yellow Mix, Australian Imperial Force Definition, Atco Dividend, Grow Up Or Growing Up, How To Deposit Money In Atm Westpac, Tyrod Taylor Fantasy, Man Utd Vs Tottenham 3-0, Ups Employment Login, Mark Billingham Thorne, Arsenal Line Up Tomorrow, Everton Vs Arsenal Score, Rosie Revere, Engineer Growth Mindset, Goplus Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board Review, Michael Williams Artist Biography, Carrie Fisher Age, Google My Location, Wind Direction Toronto, No, David Theme, World Weather, Toronto Island Weather, Browns Restaurants, Horse 3d Camera, John Gower Works, Tree Leaf Identification Chart, Photo Scanning Service Near Me, Ryan Mahoney Job, Microsoft All-in-one Media Keyboard Vs Logitech K400 Plus, Michelle Greene Father, Pangolin Predators, Nautilus File Manager Debian, Diary Of An 8-bit Warrior (book 2), Bombay Velvet Online, Early Voting In Tomball Tx, Mighty Joe Young (1998 Full Movie 123movies), Troy Polamalu Height, China Post Ordinary Small Packet Plus Vs Epacket, Reptile Classifieds, V1489 Cygni Vs Uy Scuti, Frogger Pc, Forever New South Africa, Nevada State Bank Swift Code, Uptown Fitness, Is Arsenio Hall Still Alive, Red Dog Cast, Point Break (1991 Full Movie Dailymotion), Eagles Vs Broncos, Sagittarius Horoscope, Uic Tuition, Phil Davis Linkedin, Grandia Switch Release, Microsoft Teams Color Dots, Zach Merrett Twitter, Clan Of The Cave Bear Tv Series, Cook County Voting Hours, Spectrum Internet Speed Test, I Told Him I Not Interested But He Won't Leave Me Alone, Double Cross Episodes, Alex Williamson Email,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *